Sunday 5 July 2015

'If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say, Don't Say Anything At All.'

So as you may or may not know, I achieved my hair goals a couple of weeks ago when I got my all over pastel purple hair (yes it is as wonderful as it sounds and yes I'm completely obsessed with my own hair).

                                         Ta-dah!

I've never been so happy with my hair and the general feedback from my friends, family, co-workers etc is that everyone else likes it too which is great!

However I have noticed something that I can't say I ever paid any attention to before very recently. When did it become acceptable to pass comment on a total strangers appearance? I'm fine with compliments because that's sweet and very uplifting coming from a stranger but when on earth did it become normal to outright insult someone they don't know based on an aspect of their appearance?

The sheer amount of people who've said demeaning or nasty things to me in the last two weeks regarding my hair colour is astonishing! I've been called Dame Edna too many times to count, some people have said 'you do realise Hallowe'en isn't for another few months right?' and one particularly rude elderly woman decided it was necessary to tell me I look ridiculous. Lovely, eh? One man even went as far as telling me that if I wanted to attract kids all I needed was sweets, I didn't have to impersonate Barney, which to be honest is not only creepy it's also a little bit scary that he thought it was totally alright to just casually make such an inappropriate joke to a complete stranger!

I understand that some people might be joking and I'm well able to laugh at myself, I have no problem with that. I've gotten a lot of that kind of attitude too and I laugh along because it's all in good spirit, it's the mean spirited comments that drive me up the wall.

Just because I made a very visible change to my appearance doesn't mean it's up for public dissection for the amusement of others. Ok so it might not be all that common a hair colour (especially in a small town filled with small minded people) but it hardly necessitates cruel comments, does it?

I have thick skin and I'm well able to take the sly criticisms so I'm not upset by any of this, simply a bit confused. 

It says an awful lot more about the people who feel the need to make these comments than it says about me or my hair. Imagine being like that, imagine thinking that just because someone has an unusual hair colour that it is perfectly alright to just insult them. 

My mammy used to always tell me; 'if you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.' If I saw someone with a crazy hair colour, my first instinct would be 'not for me but fair fucks to them!'. I would never in a million years even dream of saying something mean to that person! It's so difficult to understand the mindset of such strange, strange people. Being pass remarkable is not a nice trait to have.

Just some food for thought and a bit of a vent! Any thoughts or questions, leave em below or tweet me @EarthToNiamh :*

#posivibes only please little sunflowers! X

No comments:

Post a Comment