Thursday 4 September 2014

Quote of the Day

'Other people's success is not your failure'
Unknown*

*Trawled the internet for a good 20 minutes trying to find a source for this but to no avail so if anyone can enlighten me in the comments I would be very grateful!


I've always been the kind of person who measures themselves against others, my internal monologue is constantly pointing out all the ways that other people are better than me. It took me a very long time to wrap my head around the concept that I'm an individual and therefore my success is relative and not comparative. It's still something I have to remind myself of on a regular basis and that's why this quote struck a bit of a chord with me. 

At the minute a lot of the people around me are finding success in different ways, be it college or work, and I feel like I'm at a stand still because I've left college and I don't really know where I'm going from here. I sometimes feel like a failure because I'm not achieving the expected goals for someone my age but when I look at the situation rationally I know I'm doing what's right for me and in my opinion that's definitely a form of success. If anything I sometimes think I'm more successful than some of my peers because in taking time out for myself I'm growing as a person and although I might be lacking in academic stimulation, I'm learning something new about life and the world around me almost every day.

This quote is definitely a piece of wisdom I need to keep in mind on days when I'm being too hard on myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment